The National PTA Reflections program is PTA’s cornerstone arts program. It was developed in 1969 by Colorado’s PTA President, Mary Lou Anderson, to encourage students to explore their talents and express themselves. The PTA Reflections program was described by Mary Lou as “almost too simple”. That simplicity – of asking children to express themselves artistically based on a common theme – is the foundation of this long-standing program.
The PTA Reflections Program has inspired millions of students to reflect on the current year’s theme. Each year, students in Grades Pre-K through 12 are recognized for bringing that theme to life through dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.
Reflections encourages students of all ages to:
- Unleash creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the fun and joy of making art
- Tap into critical-thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art
The students submit artwork to their Local PTAs. The work is judged and the winning entries advance to the County level for judging. After that, it is onto the State level for the next round. The TOP State Award winners then advance to the National level for judging, so exciting!